Pages

Sunday 27 January 2013

'Fessing up to Fakery










During my first year of uni I really wanted my nose pierced. I even went into a piercing and tattoo parlour with a friend to try to summon the courage to have it done. Unfortunately the establishment in question didn't fill me with confidence, just a dose of fear. Quite honestly, I chickened out. I don't know if it was the scare stories of nose piercings that healed up if they were left empty for just one evening, or the stories of piercings that never healed up, leaving an ugly permanent hole. Perhaps it was the horror stories of infections, and the nasty things that happen when you have a cold. Maybe it was just that I am a wimp and I hate pain.

A couple of years later nose piercings fell out of vogue, and I was fairly happy I hadn't bothered with the piercing. But these things come around and suddenly nose rings are everywhere again, and I remember why I wanted one in the first place. So a few days ago I uploaded a picture of myself, sporting a nose ring, to my Facebook. The reviewed were mixed, my sister panicked, phoning me saying; "Have you thought this through? You are getting married in a couple of months!" my dad gave me talk about how no one will want to employ me, my darling fiancĂ©e took great offence and demanded to know 'what I had done', but my friends said it suited me and that they liked the new addition to my face.

The thing is... it isn't real. Yep, the title of this post alludes to the truth, I am 'fessing up to fakery, I am wearing a faux nose ring. I spotted these while shopping in River Island and I decided it was time to give a nose piercing a go, the risk-free way. And for just £1.50, it would have been rude not to. I don't know what you think, but I reckon they look quite realistic! I have noticed fake piercings are becoming more common place, with faux ear cuffs becoming popular again. I have one of these too, obvs.

I was quite surprised at how impassioned some of the comments were about my new piece of jewellery. Even when they found out it was fake, the haters still hated. I don't think it is a big deal, like the rest of my jewellery, it is worn occasionally and for fun.

And I think this is the key. I am wearing them for fun. I am not thinking of getting my nose pierced anymore. I don't want a permanent piercing in the middle of my face, for many of the above reasons. But to be able to wear one now and again, sounds all right to me.

What do you think? Naff? Tacky? Horrible? Good? Do you have any facial piercings, real or otherwise? Would you wear one of these?



5 comments:

  1. I think it look great. I have some fake ear cuffs that I really like. I'd love to try these out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my nose pierced a few different times, but I would give falsies a whirl, its the look without the hassle! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my nose pierced but with a stud rather than a ring as I don't think rings suit me so I would be able to wear these. I think they suit you though
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice! You may end up with a mark on your nose you will always regret! What if it doesn't close up!!! This is so cute on you!

    (='.'=)
    -Lauren at adorn la femme
    http://adornlafemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your eyes look so amazing and blue here! <3 Oh, and of course I love the new piercing! Looks great.

    x
    Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, I ♥ reading your comments.